Fashion sewing....Revision

The wardrobe Architect is a blog that I enjoy reading, she works on revising, restyling and helping you find your style. I have been reading through her website, the link is here  http://www.coletterie.com/wardrobe-architect/introducing-the-wardrobe-architect
This is what she wrote regarding her mission and goals
 "You and I are builders. We love to construct things and to use our hands. We enjoy the focus and the flow of creation. And most of all, we like the sense of accomplishment we feel when our sewing projects are finished.
But one thing I’ve learned from many aspects of my life is that design is just as important as implementation.
I use the term “design” loosely. Really what I mean is planning. Whether you are building a complex piece of software over several years or tiling your bathroom floor, the more time you spend thinking about how you want to do it, the better the result and the less time wasted in the end.
But lately, I’ve been feeling that my wardrobe – the thing I spend so much time building for the sheer fun of it – is created a bit haphazardly. Yes, I definitely think about what my style is, whether I need something, and whether I’ll wear it. I know generally what colors I like and what shapes suit me.
But just as often, I sew something just because I like it or the fabric is pretty. And that’s fine. But when the majority of what you’re sewing (or buying) isn’t really planned in the context of a wardrobe, you do end up with a few problems.

DO THESE SOUND FAMILIAR?

  • You acquire things you don’t use.
  • You feel regret over purchases, whether it’s fabric you’ll never use or a blouse bought because it was on clearance.
  • You tend to buy quantity over quality more than you’d like.
  • You buy things that are “close enough.”
  • You don’t have a chance to think very deeply about your purchases, like the environmental or ethical impact.
  • When buying fabric, you go for the bright and shiny instead of the fabrics you really like to wear.
  • You make clothes that don’t really fit your life well (another party dress?)
  • You have an overwhelmingly long list of sewing projects you want to make and no idea of how to prioritize them. This can actually be kind of stressful for me.
  • You feel like your wardrobe is all over the place.
  • You don’t know how to put outfits together from what you have, so you keep acquiring more instead.
  • That’s a big pile of issues. Do any of these ring true for you? I know they do for me, some more than others."

I  hope some of you can try this and we together can see what works and doesn't for each of us. We're all in different stages in life and I'm really feeling a make-over/transition coming! I look forward to whatever the future brings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment